Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fabulous Find: Cui Xiuwen



Cui Xiuwen, Existential Emptiness, No. 7, 2009. c-print 200 x 160 cm.
[image courtesy of Eli Fine Art, New York, New York and Carlos Herrera, director of Blackbridge Gallery]


The photographs of Cui Xiuwen caused me to pause as I viewed them for the first time. Crisply printed onto clear acrylic, I was totally engaged by the content as well as the technique in which they were rendered. I love it when this happens.


Cui Xiuwen's photographs are now on view at Blackbridge Gallery in Milledgeville, Georgia through September 23rd as a part of the exhibit, Scenes from Within: Contemporary Art from China.


Scenes from Within was curated by Carlos Herrera and Theodore Windish. Gallery hours are 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.


The Kiang Gallery in midtown Atlanta will feature Cui Xiuwen's body of work Existential Emptiness September 16 - November 19, 2011. Cui Xiuwen will be present for the opening reception on September 16th from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.








2 comments:

  1. Shannon, I feel certain I am on your mailing list, but I missed this great post! I am going to re-submit, but before I do I have to add that your very response to this piece is much as mine, however I didn't have the pleasure of viewing in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, thanks for your attention. It's so crazy keeping up with everything sometimes. I know you are so busy but if you have time do swing by the Kiang Gallery to see this work. It will be all the more startling when you are face to face with it. There is something about the size, her choice of printing method/material that when paired with the subject is just arresting.

    ReplyDelete